A case is described where accidental acid ingestion resulted in the development of oesophageal stricture and complete gastric outlet obstruction. Following a smoothly conducted pre-surgery endoscopic examination the patient developed acute pancreatitis, which, on initial clinical examination, was diagnosed as a viscus perforation. The severity of pancreatitis was such as to lead to disseminated intravascular coagulopathy and ultimately death. The interest lies in the fact that pancreatitis was precipitated in a previously traumatised stomach by such an innocuous procedure as fibre-optic endoscopy.
Statistics from Altmetric.com
If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.