Early diffusion weighted imaging and expression of heat shock protein 70 in newborn pigs with hypoxic ischaemic encephalopathy
- Department of Radiology, Second Affiliated Hospital, Medical College of Shantou University, Shantou, China
- Correspondence to: Dr Y Cheng Department of Radiology, the Second Affiliated Hospital, Medical College of Shantou University, Shantou 515041, China;
- Received 19 November 2004
- Accepted 21 January 2005
Objective: To establish a cerebral hypoxia ischaemic model in piglets and to explore the early diffusion weighted imaging (DWI) as well as the expression of heat shock protein 70 (HSP70) with hypoxic ischaemic encephalopathy (HIE).
Methods: Twenty four 3 day old piglets were permanently ligated common carotid arteries bilaterally and ventilated with 3% oxygen for 30 minutes, and their brains were examined at three hours, six hours, and 24 hours after hypoxic ischaemia with T2 weighted images and diffusion weighted images. Apparent diffusion coefficient (ADC) values were measured and HSP70 expression was detected in the central and peripheral regions of lesions.
Results: Abnormal signal intensity was detected on DWI and ADC maps in three hypoxic ischaemic groups. ADC values in the central lesions rapidly decreased, whereas ADC values in the peripheral regions reduced prominently at 24 hours after hypoxic ischaemia. There were significant differences (p<0.01) between ADC values of the central regions and the peripheral regions of lesions. The number of HSP70 positive cells was low at three hours, raised at the highest peak at six hours, and then rapidly decreased. There was statistical difference between HSP70 positive cells in the central regions and those in peripheral regions (p<0.01).
Conclusion: DWI may identify more early lesions, and improve conspicuity in the acute setting. ADC values can be used as an objective measure for hypoxic ischaemic injury. Tissue reversibility can be further reflected according to the information of ADC values and HSP70 immunohistochemical staining.
- ADC, apparent diffusion coefficient
- DWI, diffusion weighted imaging
- HSP70, heat shock protein 70
- HIE, hypoxic ischaemic encephalopathy
- HI, hypoxic ischaemia
- PBS, phosphate buffered saline
- apparent diffusion coefficient
- diffusion weighted imaging
- heat shock protein70
- hypoxic ischaemic encephalopathy
- newborn pig
Conflicts of interest: none.