Article Text

PDF

Intestinal infarction following carbon monoxide poisoning.
  1. M. Balzan,
  2. J. M. Cacciottolo,
  3. A. Casha
  1. Department of Medicine, St Luke's Hospital, Guardamangia, Malta.

    Abstract

    A 65 year old patient admitted with carbon monoxide poisoning developed acute pulmonary oedema during treatment with hyperbaric oxygen. After initial recovery he developed extensive intestinal ischaemia which rapidly led to death. It is suggested that intestinal vasoconstriction due to left ventricular failure made the gut much more vulnerable to the hypoxic effects of carbon monoxide than the brain and heart.

    Statistics from Altmetric.com

    Request permissions

    If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.