Article Text

PDF

Prevalence of anticardiolipin antibodies in the elderly British population.
  1. K. K. Chakravarty,
  2. R. E. Gray,
  3. M. Webley,
  4. M. A. Byron,
  5. J. Wozniak
  1. Oxford Regional Rheumatic Disease Research Centre, Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire, UK.

    Abstract

    In a cross-sectional study of 100 healthy elderly individuals, anticardiolipin antibodies (aCL) were measured using an ELISA technique. aCL were not detected in the majority of subjects (63%), and in the remaining 37% titres were within the laboratory reference range (mean +5 standard deviations) previously determined for adults of all ages. In contrast, significant titres of IgM rheumatoid factor were found in 10%, antimitochondrial antibody in 13%, antinuclear factor in 5%, anti-smooth muscle antibody in 18%, antiparietal cell antibody in 10%, and antireticulin antibody in 1%. Antibodies to single or double-stranded DNA were not detected in any subject. We conclude that, although other auto-antibodies may be present in the healthy aging population in Britain, abnormally elevated levels of aCL antibody do not occur, and when present may be an indicator of autoimmune-mediated pathology.

    Statistics from Altmetric.com

    Request permissions

    If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.