Article Text

PDF

Accidental self administration of xylazine in a veterinary nurse.
  1. A. Samanta,
  2. C. Roffe,
  3. K. L. Woods
  1. Leicester Royal Infirmary, UK.

    Abstract

    A 19 year old male veterinary nurse accidentally injected himself with 200 mg of xylazine (a muscle relaxant and sedative used in veterinary practice). He subsequently became comatose, hypotensive, bradycardic and acidotic. He required intensive supportive therapy, and made a full recovery over the next few hours. Xylazine toxicity in humans is very rare, and the effects are discussed.

    Statistics from Altmetric.com

    Request permissions

    If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.