Article Text

PDF

Hemlock water dropwort poisoning.
  1. M. J. Ball,
  2. M. L. Flather,
  3. J. C. Forfar
  1. Department of Chemical Pathology, John Radcliffe Hospital, Headington, Oxford, UK.

    Abstract

    Severe plant poisoning is relatively uncommon in adults. We report two adults who ingested hemlock water dropwort roots, having mistaken them for wild parsnip. One developed prolonged convulsions, severe metabolic acidosis and respiratory distress requiring mechanical ventilation. The toxin--oenanthotoxin--was detected in the gastric aspirate and measured by high performance liquid chromatography.

    Statistics from Altmetric.com

    Request permissions

    If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.