Article Text

PDF

Haemodialysis and charcoal haemoperfusion in acute inorganic mercury poisoning.
  1. D. P. Worth,
  2. A. M. Davison,
  3. A. M. Lewins,
  4. M. J. Ledgerwood,
  5. A. Taylor

    Abstract

    A 29-year-old gardener developed acute renal failure following the ingestion of 'Mersil', a combination of mercurous and mercuric chloride, achieving a plasma mercury concentration of 22,000 nmol/litre (400 micrograms/litre). Haemodialysis and charcoal haemoperfusion were ineffective in removing mercury despite prior treatment with the chelating agent dimercaprol. The acute renal failure resolved after 10 days and there are no residual sequelae.

    Statistics from Altmetric.com

    Request permissions

    If you wish to reuse any or all of this article please use the link below which will take you to the Copyright Clearance Center’s RightsLink service. You will be able to get a quick price and instant permission to reuse the content in many different ways.